[lbo-talk] 300 Pounds of Joy (Was Re: 4 July - Help me Think)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 12:59:42 PDT 2007

There is immense, statistically demonstrable fat prejudice in our society. Student of mine did a good paper on it in the employment discrimination context. It's not one shared by blues musicians, though:

Howlin' Wolf Three Hundred Pounds Of Joy

by Willie Dixon , arranged by Chester Burnett a.k.a. Howlin' Wolf recording of 1969 from The Howlin' Wolf Album (Chess 4543) All you girls think the days are gone You don't have to worry, you can have your fun Take me, baby, for your little boy Three hundred pounds of heavenly joy This is it This is it Look what you get You been creeping and hiding behind his back 'Cause you got you a man that you don't like Throw that Jack, baby, outta your mind Follow me, baby, have a real good time This is it This is it Look what you get Hoy! Hoy! I'm the boy Three hundred pounds of heavenly joy I'm so glad that you understand Three hundred pounds of muscle and man This is it This is it Look what you get If the men's all mad then the women's glad If the little kids' happy then the old folk's mad I'm so glad that you understand Three hundred pounds of muscle and man This is it This is it Look what you get __________ Note: Howluin' Wolf was six-foot, six inches (1 meter, 98 cm) tall and weighing close to 300 pounds (136 kg).

STATUS QUO lyrics - "Big Fat Mama"

www.OldieLyrics.com

(Rossi/Parfitt)

Say you need me, say you need me Tell me that you want my love Say you will be mine and I am yours You think that you're way above me I'm telling you that I can see All those things that you might wanna be I am yours tonight You be mine tonight

You keep telling me you're not having me I'm telling you that I can see All the things that you might wanna be Say you need me, say you need me Tell me that you want my love Say will be mine and I am yours I am yours tonight You be mine tonight

I got a big fat Mama With a big fat boy Really thinks she's something else But I love that woman Like fish loves the water And there is nobody else I'm gonna tell you woman better do as you're told If you don't, I'm gonna bringing you down I've got a big fat Mama And there's no one else around

I said say you need me Come on and say you need me I said say you need me

Say you need me Come on and say you need me I said say you need me

Built For Comfort Howlin Wolf, Willie Dixon Some folk built like this, some folk built like that But the way I'm built, you shouldn't call me fat Because I'm built for comfort, I ain't built for speed But I got everything all the good girls need

I don't have no diamond, and I don't have no gold But I've got a lot of lovin' and I want you to know That I'm built for comfort, I ain't built for speed But I got everything all the good girls need

Some folk built like this, some folk built like that But the way I'm built, you shouldn't call me fat Because I'm built for comfort, I ain't built for speed But I got everything all the good girls need

Some folk rip and roar, some folk b'lieve in signs But if you want me, you got to take your time Because I'm built for comfort, I ain't built for speed But I got everything all the good girls need

But I got everything all the good girls need I, I love you baby I, I love you baby But I got everything all of the good girls need

And I don't got no diamonds, don't have no gold Got a lot of lovin' to satisfy your soul I'm built for comfort, I ain't built for speed But I got everything all the good girls need

by Willie Dixon

They Call Me Big Mama (Big Mama Thornton)

http://play.rhapsody.com/bigmamathornton/hounddogthepeacockrecordings/theycallmebigmama?didAutoplayBounce=true

Shemekia Copleland, the hottest (in several senses) talent in blues, can knock the bvack bwall out of a room with her voice, looks to me to weight 225 easy, and she's a babe.

Maybe Jennifer Hudson will help people appreciare curves again.

Today, Marilyn Monroe and Bettie Page would be thought fat; my daughter, who has that kind of figure, has real body issues.