[lbo-talk] Liberalism

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 6 17:31:40 PDT 2007

> I'll agree that "ignorance" and "stupidity" are constructed, and not
> the result of any biological deficiency among the American masses.
> But the patterns of ignorance are interesting, no? No idea what the
> hammer & sickle mean, no idea who the Chief Justice is, but quick to
> name the winner of American Idol. That's a pretty uphill climb for
> the likes of you & me, no?

One LBO denizen has already proven that he can demolish some 14 year old in an argument... at least behind his back, where he's unable to respond.

;)

The Chief Justice thing isn't so bad though.. 18% knew the American Idol, vs. 11% who knew the Chief Justice. And Roberts was offered more than all other names combined; most people just didn't answer.

Many more knew that Bernanke is the Fed chairman, where the Dow Jones is at, how long Iraq has existed as an independent nation, etc. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19375611/site/newsweek/

Could be better, but I don't see why the current Chief Justice would stick in anyone's minds; many don't know who their CEO is.

On the other hand, I've heard from activist Michael Albert that many leftists know almost nothing about things which their constituency likes, such as sports. Supposedly, many didn't even who Michael Jordan is. (!) Though I can hardly believe that last part about MJ; Michael Albert isn't that careful about details, so I'm not sure whether to believe it.

(I personally don't think leftists have to learn what they don't want, just as I don't care whether some 14 year old knows national symbols of some dead failed state. But there are consequences in both cases.)

Tayssir