[lbo-talk] 300 Pounds of Joy (Was Re: 4 July - Help me Think)

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Sat Jul 7 06:47:50 PDT 2007

At 01:49 AM 7/7/2007, you wrote:
>Andy F wrote:
>
> > Roughly. FHM (did I uh spell that right?) and Maxim, too, but I think
> > there are less obvious examples that don't occur to me right now. On
> > the other side, Cosmo and fashion magazines are the obvious subjects,
> > but there are also the more domestic ones too.
>
>Oh, right. It's been sometime since I've perused a copy of FHM or Maxim
>when I was bored at the grocery store or airport.

didn't maxim have some notorious spread not too long ago in which Charlotte's character from Sex and the City was called a pig? No, I take that back. It was Details and women who aren't fat were described as fat anyway, which as Pandagon said, was enough to inspire an eating disorder. (it sure helped inspire exercise bulemia for me, as a kid, and I'm sorry to hear about andie's daughter dealing with similar pressure)

Liv Tyler? Fat? huh? Curvy isn't fat. Thin women can be curvy. This women are thin and curvy. They aren't even as big as women in paintings of 500 years ago and they certainly don't have multiple rolls of fat as some of those nudes have.

http://men.style.com/details/features/landing?&id=content_4622

Then there's the yogurt campaign in Brazil in which Sharon Stone, Monroe, and Mena Suvari are photoshopped to be BBWs. The tagline reads, "Forget about it. Men's preference will never change. Fit Light Yogurt."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20043466,00.html

And, as I understand it, Kristin Davis *is* considered fat in Hollywood. can't find the orig. article, but this <http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:50Ncx0hYcmsJ:www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11878503/+%22Kristin+Davis%22+fat&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=firefox-a>

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)