[lbo-talk] Harper's Detroit article

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 14:54:30 PDT 2007

Has anyone read Rebecca Solnit's article on Detroit in the July Harper's? (Sorry, there's no electronic copy on the Internet yet). I just finished it and it left me pretty excited. Roughly 3/4 of the article is devoted to describing Detroit ("The city, once the fourth largest in the country, is now so depopulated that some stretches resemble the outlying farmland and others are altogether wild.") and its history.

The final part of the article discusses how the Marxist community organizers Jimmy and Grace Boggs developed an alternative economic vision for Detroit in the late 80s -- basically a local economy where many goods and services are produced locally. In practice, this means using the city's abandoned lots to grow food. Apparently, this experiment in "utopian post-urbanism" is starting to take off, and the article cites a handful of examples. Solnit compares what's going on in Detroit to Cuba's mobilization to replace mechanized agriculture with garden agriculture after the Soviet Union collapsed.

Any Detroiters who can tell us whether this is just a bunch of naive, pie in the sky bullshit, or did Jimmy and Grace Boggs establish the foundation for something really exciting? And if this is the real deal, then where can one turn to learn more?

-WD