[lbo-talk] Brit lit goes to hell

Russell Grinker grinker at mweb.co.za
Sat Jul 7 23:27:17 PDT 2007

When I lived in Nottingham in 1984 during the British miners' strike, I was amazed to find that there was still a fairly widespread hatred for Lawrence in the mining communities from which he came and about which he wrote. People felt he had insultingly portrayed them as ignorant and verging on the sub-human. Despite Notts miners' reputation as the strike breakers in the famous '84-5 strike, during the Second World War they were the most radical workers in Britain, striking against war production and strongly influenced by Marxists to the left of the CPGB. The official Communist Party was discredited by its 'sergeant major' role in driving war production in the pits, where miners had previously been used to going to work only when they felt like it, as well as to a free supply of beer under an arrangement known as "swilling".

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Robert Wrubel Sent: 08 July 2007 02:08 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Brit lit goes to hell

There's very little overt politics in Lawrence's work, and you can certainly call him a fierce critic of industrialism, in the tradition of Blake. His solutions and interests, in the literature at least, are mostly on the personal and sexual level, not the social. I tend to give artists a break on politics; artists and social thinkers are almost opposites, by temperament. That doesnt include artists, like Martin Amis, who think their fame as artists entitles them to be commentators on history.

joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote: Chris Doss wrote:

>DH Lawrence was a radical rightist?
>
>I never liked him anyway. :)

His animal poems are pretty good.