[lbo-talk] Max Horkheimer on Theism and Atheism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 8 12:02:09 PDT 2007

On Jul 8, 2007, at 2:39 PM, Mr. WD wrote:

> On 7/8/07, Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Max Horkheimer 1963
>> Source: Critique of Instrumental Reason. Max Horkheimer. Published by
>> Continuum 1974
>>
>> opposite of religion. Those who professed themselves to be
>> atheists at
>> a time when religion was still in power tended to identify themselves
>> more deeply with the theistic commandment to love one's neighbor and
>> indeed all created things than most adherents and fellow-travelers of
>> the various denominations. Such selflessness, such a sublimation of
>> self-love into love of others had its origin in Europe in the
>> Judaeo-Christian idea that truth, love and justice were one, an idea
>> which found expression in the teachings of the Messiah. The necessary
>

> This appears to be the sentiment echoed by Habermas in his essay "A
> Time of Transition":
>
> "Christianity, and nothing else, is the ultimate foundation of
> liberty, conscience, human rights, and democracy, the benchmarks of
> Western civilization. To this day, we have no other options [than
> Christianity]. We continue to nourish ourselves from this source.
> Everything else is postmodern chatter."

Yeah, and Slavoj Zizek was arguing a few years ago that through its emphasis on redemption, rather than acceptance of fate, Christianity is our primal source of the revolutionary impulse. And there's the heart of a heartless world argument, too. Fine. That's one thing. It's quite another to argue that we have to become religious, or defer to the religious. With Yoshie telling us we have to embrace the Islamists and the establishment liberals all getting into line to blow Jim Wallis, I think I'll pass.

Doug