[lbo-talk] Brit lit goes to hell

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Sun Jul 8 19:47:40 PDT 2007

Rather than 'community' it's more like a few buddies, so I think 'loner' as opposed to leader is more apt.

-- that the protagonist was NOT a loner, but often worked with the help of the African-American community to solve murders.

Yes. They are the primary predator(s), which we could say is a narrow view in and of itself.

-- that mostly what he survives is the LAPD... by sometimes sharing information. How much he share and what he shares is often the central dilemma of the books thus bringing forward the issue of collaboration with the enemy (police).

Right.

-- that the protagonist is not a perfect man and not a virtuoso but simply a caring man and a self-reflective man who is capable of learning from his mistakes and from others. Very unmacho, no superfly here.

-- that the protagonist is not a stylish detective superhero, but (toward the end of the series) a janitor in a public school whose status is given not by his social standing but by his integrity and mature concern for others.

-- an almost palpable nostalgia for those times when the black man knew who his enemy was.

And of course, well written