[lbo-talk] Handwriting on the wall ( Re: Max Horkheimer on Theismand Atheism)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 8 20:17:16 PDT 2007

>From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
>
>... I've heard people argue
>that the prophetic impulse was important for Chuck;
>his family was rabbinal and his mother never really
>converted, so he woulda probably got the whole
>megilla. He knew his Old Testament too and there is a
>sort of prophetic feel to his writings.

I think the most indefensible thing ever said about KM is that he was not a moralist. His thought -- whatever you term it (knowing his rejection of the term Marxism) -- is the morality that dare not speak its name. KM's entire persona and rhetorical style are 100% consistent with the prophetic model that abounds in the Old Testament -- ripe with denunciations of corruption and oppression, thunderous in asserting stern retribution is nigh. The notion that KM's work bears any serious relationship to science is a joke. It's moralism pure and simple; the patina of "science" was sprayed on simply to give Victorian bourgeoisie the willies and induce them not to dismiss KM as a common scold.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play Chicktionary!  http://club.live.com/chicktionary.aspx?icid=chick_hotmailtextlink2