[lbo-talk] Handwriting on the wall ( Re: Max Horkheimer on Theismand Atheism)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 8 21:16:44 PDT 2007

Moralism pure and simple, huh. No explanatory theses about the way bourgeois society works. No insights into which relationships are important in understanding the dynamics of social processes the activities of different social groups. No hypothesis about which variables are independent or dependent in understanding the way people think or the nature of government, education, the press, religion. No predictions about the direction and future of the economy or its shape. I wonder how I have been managing to misread all those things into the old scold for all these years.

Of course I agree with you that Marx's official anti-moralism isn't consistent with the attitude that he obviously manifests throughout his work, but let's not even bother to defend the rest of this ridiculous hyperbole. Someone whose conception of science is so far from mine as to exclude Marx from its ambit is talking about a different phenomenon than what I, as political scientist and philosopher of social and natural science, take to be the sort of thing science is. In case you feel like sneering at social science, I was originally a historian and philosopher of natural science and have graduate training in physics, aced QM, thermodynamics and stat mech, special and gen'l relativity, and basic classical mechanics. So I know what "real" "hard" science is supposed to look like. Marx qualifies.