[lbo-talk] negative and positive atheism (was Re: MaxHorkheimer onTheism and Atheism)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 10 06:57:34 PDT 2007

>From: Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net>
>
>On Monday 09 July 2007 13:28, Carl Remick wrote:
> > The
> > biggest historical surprise of my lifetime is that the West/East
>resolved
> > the cataclysmic nuclear threat of the ideological Cold War only to
>replace
> > it with a wacky, neomedieval New Crusade pitting Christianity/Judaism
> > against Islam.
>
>Perhaps I'm misreading you -- but are you really saying you think that the
>current "clash of civilizations" is actually about religion, driven by
>religion, motivated by religion -- that aggression (on 'our' side) or
>resistance (on 'theirs') really has its sources in people's beliefs about
>God?

Perhaps I'm misreading you -- but are you really saying that religion is actually about God? I don't think God has a damn thing to do with religion, which is palpably the projection of human beings' own insecurities and desires. I see religion as no more than sacralized tribalism, and I say the hell with it.

Carll

_________________________________________________________________ Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place! http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01