[lbo-talk] Stalin's image, was: Re: great moments in the history of liberalism

Russell Grinker grinker at mweb.co.za
Tue Jul 10 11:59:49 PDT 2007

Some exciting things also happened in Baku:

"I represent here the revolutionary workers of one of the great imperialist powers, the United States of America, which exploits and oppresses the peoples of the colonies.

You, the peoples of the East, the peoples of Asia, have not yet experienced for yourselves the rule of America. You know and hate the British, French and Italian imperialists, and probably you think that 'free America' will govern better, will liberate the peoples of the colonies, will feed and defend them.

No. The workers and peasants of the Philippines, the peoples of Central America and the islands of the Caribbean, they know what it means to live under the rule of 'free America'."

- John Reed speaking at the Baku Congress of the Peoples of the East in August 1920.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Peter Lavelle Sent: 10 July 2007 07:41 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Stalin's image,was: Re: great moments in the history of liberalism

Great post Chris! I am off to Baku in a week or so to make a documentary on the first of three segments related to the history of oil and gas. Baku back then was the like Saudi and today's Russia combined in oil production. The peasant workers, the tycoons, the Stalins are all part of the story. All great stuff and I have the sourced first film to make it!