[lbo-talk] Stalin's image, was: Re: great moments in the history of liberalism

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 12:14:22 PDT 2007

--- wrobert at uci.edu wrote:

> He did write about it. This occurred after the 1905
> and Lenin continued
> supporting the expropriations after all other
> parties argued against it.
> If I remember correctly he supported this position
> (anti-expropriation)
> while continuing to have Stalin engage in
> expropriations.... If I
> remember correctly, Trotsky criticized both of them.
> You don't quite get
> the pulpy heroics that Chris included in his
> description though. (It
> actually would probably make a great film....)
> robert wood

Oh, here's a good pulpy bit. His enforcer, the aforementioned Koma, the guy who ripped out the guy's heart. Now, this guy was a badass. (He was a childhood friend of Koba.)

He was captured by the Okhrana and they wanted to hang him. So, his lawyer suggested he plead insanity -- and did he! They tortured the guy regularly for two years, driving nails under his fingernails and so forth, and eventually the doctors concluded that he must actually be insane, because no one could actually stand that level of pain. At the trial, he whipped a parakeet out of his sleeve and started talking to it instead of his lawyers. He also did the classic bit of pretending to think he was Napoleon.

He wrote his memoirs but they are unpublished.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell. http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/