[lbo-talk] Liberal Intellectuals and the Coordinator Class

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 11 02:40:12 PDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Bill Bartlett <billbartlett at aapt.net.au> wrote:
> In the end, it compromises and decides that the solution is for
> everyone to take turns at coercing the majority, so that no-one has
> the power permanently. As if that would ever work. Even if you could
> design a system which theoretically denied such power to anyone (and
> Parecon appears to fail even theoretically) then any system that
> preserves coercion as its foundation would inevitably be corrupted by
> its own internal tensions.

Do you recall the mechanisms by which this coercion may happen? My current main interest lies in real-world application of Parecon, and perhaps my head's too far in to see the forest, but I don't see concretely why "it seeks to retain the systematic economic repression of our present capitalist system." What are its (presumably dishonest) proponents hiding?

A few notes:

* I can see that it may be repressive if not combined with humane

policies which guarantee human rights of food and shelter. Like

perhaps any economic model.

In the same way, you can have better or worse forms of

capitalism, state communism, etc. Depends on the details.

* Any such system would require experimentation. Even VC-funded

tech startups are said to fail 7 out of 10 times, and they're

still profitable investments. With experimentation, it can be

seen where the Parecon model is correct, mistaken or needs

clarification.

Even in relatively cut-and-dried world of software, where the

systems are far simpler, highly experienced people regularly

embarrass themselves when they make firm dogmatic claims about

systems before they're actually implemented.

It's even possible that state capitalism can't fundamentally be

improved upon, for all I know, despite vigorous claims of

detractors. In that case, the human race is in serious

trouble. ;)

* I'm currently a member of the coordinator class, and that part

of the Parecon theory seems sound. Yesterday, I fell asleep on a

couch in an open-plan office which had about a dozen people. No

one commented. If I decide I want to spend a nice day mocking up

some interface with Inkscape[1] and staring out the window, I

can. I'm encouraged to argue with some boss, within certain

ideological bounds. Nothing like the fastfood workers I meet,

who have about zero freedom. And even I dislike the constraints

I am under.

My job is currently about creating things desired by

nation-states and corporations to affect many peoples' lives.

I blithely toss the finest books on my desk, from Tufte's books

on displaying evidence, to the genetic algorithms book with the

subtly erotic picture[2]. My workplace is more than happy to

obtain such books for me, and I think nothing of it. Where's the

Burger King which does anything like this for the "burger

flippers" who have to work there?

I do not think my class is necessary. People assert it is, but I

haven't seen evidence. (Maybe there's something I've missed, or

have a blindspot or something.) School systems cripple

childrens' minds, literally drugging and humiliating them for

disobedience. Then in the job market, they're further humiliated

as subordinates. Most people's talents are simply not being

uncovered and allowed to develop.

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/toc1.htm

I think that if I get the freedom to play with creative tools, I

should also scrub bathtubs or otherwise share the burden of

whatever "crap jobs" society hasn't gotten rid of yet. If we

don't like them, then we can figure out how to lower this burden

for everyone.

* I fully accept that Parecon is "wrong," at least in the sense

that physics is wrong. For instance, Newton's theories are still

useful, but ultimately wrong. Further, physics has idealizations

of reality. It's not reality. Always at least a little wrong.

Any theory of social relations can be expected to be far far far

more wrong than physics in this sense, including Parecon.

* Parecon is a set of guiding principles combined with an

unusually detailed system. Do the flaws lie with the concrete

system, or the underlying principles?

> If you favour a classless social system, then obviously everyone
> living under the system has to enjoy economic freedom and security.
> Parecon attempts to provide economic security, but deliberately
> eschews economic freedom. People would not be free to personally
> choose how they contribute economically to society, but would be
> economically conscripted to industry. Albert wants to abolish the
> boss, but retain and even dramatically enhance) the time-clock
> system of clocking on and off work. Frankly, I find the notion quite
> unsettling, reminiscent of Edward Bellamy's dystopian "Looking
> Backward".

When right-wing libertarians use the word "freedom," they mean something which I personally don't recognize as freedom. Perhaps you also have such a meaning with this word? Is there some alternative you have in mind, which you perceive as having more freedom than Parecon?

You mention that everyone under Parecon would be forced to use time clocks (presumably at the pain of starvation or something); where do Parecon advocates claim this?

A quick google of "parecon time clocks" gives me "A Call to Artists: Support Parecon" as its first hit:

"In helping to design balanced job complexes we would have much to

contribute. Our work is not governed by the clock."

But maybe I've forgotten the dystopian time clocks part, or am too ideologically blinded. If you tell me where it is, I'll definitely look at it.

Tayssir

[1] I recommend Inkscape -- I find it far more pleasant to use than The Gimp, though I suppose they have different goals... Though if you have MacOS, it's one of those non-native X11 apps. http://www.inkscape.org/screenshots/index.php?lang=en

[2] http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0262631857.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg