[lbo-talk] Chinese are getting serious....

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 08:23:08 PDT 2007

On 7/11/07, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/07/09/international/i213911D73.DTL
>
> China executed a former director of its food and drug agency Tuesday for
> approving fake medicine in exchange for cash, illustrating how serious
> Beijing is about tackling product safety, while officials announced
> steps to safeguard food at next summer's Olympic Games.

The Chinese certainly aren't squeamish about executing people, but at least they've developed execution protocols and trained professional to kill efficiently. The practice is made all the more barbaric in the U.S. by having people who don't know what the fuck they're doing carrying out 90-minute executions and so on. (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/03/national/main1576011.shtml)

NYT Magazine The Needle and the Damage Done By ELIZABETH WEIL http://law.fordham.edu/ihtml/news-2itndetails.ihtml?id=638&nid=475 [...]

The inability to tolerate a single execution method for very long seems to stem, in part, from the conflicted relationship Americans have with capital punishment. The majority of people continue to support it. But as the untoward executions in Iraq have underscored, we don't want government-sanctioned killings to look like lynchings, nor do we want those killings to be too brutal or bloody. Further complicating matters, the American public tends to resist engaging with the physical problem of killing people. Unlike China, which methodically tested lethal-injection protocols on humans and now has a suite of hyperefficient lethal-injection vans that drive around the provinces carrying trained teams that execute the condemned, the federal government has never convened a panel to study the practicalities of killing death-row inmates. And unlike officials in Britain, which in 1953 published ''The Royal Commission on Capital Punishment,'' advising against using lethal injection, neither wardens nor legislators in the United States have ever conducted a professional survey on execution procedures or studied how those practices might be improved. The American Veterinary Medical Association issues and reviews recommendations for euthanizing animals. No one in the United States does anything similar for condemned inmates.

[...] __________________________ thevanitywebsite.blogspot.com