[lbo-talk] The Problem of Conspiracy Theorists at the Anti-War Meeting Yesterday

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 10:45:33 PDT 2007

I was shocked to find that about _five_ 9/11 conspiracy theorists (only one of whom I had seen before) showed up at a local anti-war meeting yesterday, which made them about a quarter of the meeting participants. This was the first local anti-war meeting after the annual March mobilization against the Iraq War called by the Central Ohio Peace Network. It seems to me that, as the anti-war movement generally went down, the movement of conspiracy theorists grew. What is to be done about this problem? I doubt that any thinking people want to come to a meeting if they have to listen to a prominent contingent of conspiracy theorists wishing to educate everyone about The Truth of 9/11.

At the meeting was also a young Black woman organizer from Americans Against Escalation in Iraq (backed by MoveOn, SEIU, etc. -- Website: <http://www.noiraqescalation.org/>), promoting the group's agenda: focusing on Deborah Pryce, pushing the City Council for an anti-war resolution, holding a rally at the end of August, and so on. The woman is from out of state, as with two other organizers sent into Columbus by AAEI. While AAEI's agenda is not my agenda, at least she seemed sane. On the other hand, after summer, the three AAEI organizers will leave, and working with them may not leave anything behind in Columbus to build on. -- Yoshie