[lbo-talk] For Progressives who Vote Democratic but Value Human Rights

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Wed Jul 11 14:32:57 PDT 2007

Sometimes I just need to vent...

The Dems backsliding on reproductive rights and gay rights is too creepy.

<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/7/9/161514/4505>

= = =

For Progressives who Vote Democratic but Value Human Rights

Human Rights are Not Political Commodities

We understand the same First Amendment that guarantees separation of church and state guarantees the rights of Christian conservatives to defend their views in the public square, and to seek redress of grievances through a variety of political and social channels.

In recent months, however, we have seen indications that some in the leadership of the Democratic Party, and some of its candidates for public office, are seeking the votes of Christian conservatives by suggesting there is room to compromise on reproductive rights and gay rights.

While public debates over social issues are a sign of a healthy democracy; we do not believe is proper for politicians to negotiate away basic human rights for any group of people in the United States.

--More here-- <http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/7/9/161514/4505>

Chip Berlet Senior Analyst Political Research Associates

1310 Broadway, Suite 201 Somerville, MA 02144-1837

617.666.5300 voice 617.666.6622 fax http://www.publiceye.org