[lbo-talk] The Problem of Conspiracy Theorists at the Anti-WarMeeting Yesterday

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 16:22:01 PDT 2007

There's serious work on the efficacy of peace movements in political science. Matthew Evangelista, an old prof of mine, has a book arguing that the transnational peace movement actually affected Soviet policy:

_________________________________________________________________ Matthew Evangelista, Unarmed Forces: The Transnational Movement to End the Cold War . Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1999. 406 pp. $39.95. Pacifists and peace activists have long claimed that the power of nonviolence exceeds that of more tangible and traditional forms of weaponry. . . . Evangelista contends that a transnational movement of scientists and physicians armed only with ideas, data, aquaintanceship, and an abiding fear of nuclear war managed to convince Soviet leaders on several occasions to pursue a path of de-escalation during the Cold War.

Melvin Small (a historian), in Johnson, Nixon, and the Doves, concluded that "the antiwar movement and antiwar criticism in the media and Congress had a significant impact on the Vietnam policies of both Johnson and Nixon," pushing them toward de-escalation and, ultimately, withdrawal from the war.

My own research, which found its way into Axelrod & Kaku, To Win A Nuclear War (I was the RA), supported Small's conclusions.