[lbo-talk] Liberal Intellectuals and the Coordinator Class

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Wed Jul 11 17:50:59 PDT 2007

At 12:58 PM -0400 11/7/07, Doug Henwood wrote:

>On Jul 11, 2007, at 12:30 PM, Robert Wrubel wrote:
>
>> "From each according to his ability, to each according
>> to his need" seems to say that, Doug. Just taking my
>> own teenagers as examples, some of the least
>> contributing members of society seem to have the
>> greatest needs.
>
>Sure. And people who are sick or disabled deserve generous provision.
>But our friend Bill B has plenty of ability, and just hasn't wanted
>to work for the last 30 years.

Wow, you've got it worse than I thought. You see where this work ethic leads? Sanctimoniously sitting in judgement on people you hardly know anything about. I hasten to add that I don't take it personally though.

But think about it, if you insist on a society that discriminates between the deserving and undeserving unemployed, what does that entail. Co-ordinators with great power, that's what. Someone has to decide whether you are really sick, or malingering. Whether your art has real merit, or you are malingering. Whether you really have genuine potential as a student of medicine, or are malingering. Whether the independent magazine you are producing is worthy of recognition, or you are malingering. And much more besides.

It isn't worth it. That sort of regime is stifling.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas