[lbo-talk] Liberal Intellectuals and the Coordinator Class

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Wed Jul 11 18:34:45 PDT 2007

At 8:51 PM -0400 11/7/07, Doug Henwood wrote:

> > Definitely. Most definitely. You would too if you weren't so
>> thoroughly indoctrinated with the Protestant work ethic.
>
>Not me. I'm a lapsed Catholic. Love that dolce fa' niente thing, too.
>Work doesn't have to mean overwork.

No doubt the Vatican regards all Protestants as "lapsed Catholics". I'm a lapsed C of E myself I suppose, though I have attended as many Catholic church services (funerals and marriages) as C of E services.

I recall once, as a child, my mother taking me to a C of E Sunday school thing. Much as a parent would take a child to the zoo. She wanted me to get some idea of what I was missing and she told me to make up my own mind about religion.

As if any normal child would actually volunteer for Sunday school! All the same, being born of C of E parents makes me C of E, that's all it takes. Its a religious denomination with low entry requirements, its on my birth certificate and all. Us C of E are definitely lapsed catholics of course and the Vatican has never given up on getting us all back as a bloc through high level negotiation.

Which would make me officially a lapsed Catholic too. If it happens, we'll have have to get together and share a glass of holy water or whatever it is you Catholics get up to. ;-)

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas