[lbo-talk] an interesting definition of trivial

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 13 07:24:47 PDT 2007

<http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/07/caught-on-tape-.html>

Caught on Tape: Clinton to Edwards 'Our Guys Should Talk'

Share July 12, 2007 3:10 PM

ABC News' Teddy Davis and Lindsey Ellerson Report: Democratic rivals Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., and former Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C., were caught on tape Thursday privately conferring and agreeing to have their campaigns collaborate.

"Our guys should talk," Clinton said to Edwards.

The former first lady's remarks were picked up by an open microphone following a Democratic presidential candidates forum held at the annual NAACP convention.

Watch the video HERE.

During the event, which took place in Detroit, long-shot Democratic presidential candidate Mike Gravel ripped into several of his top- tier rivals for authorizing the use of force in Iraq in 2002.

"The majority of the people on this dais voted for the war," said Gravel. "If they got wisdom now, where were they then?"

Both Clinton and Edwards voted to authorize the use of force in Iraq in 2002.

Gravel, who is a former Democratic senator from Alaska, also went after the record compiled by Clinton's husband on trade.

"Where do you think NAFTA came from?" asked Gravel. "From the Trinity? It came from a Democratic administration. That's where it came from. We ought to recognize that. And not accept all this stuff..."

Following Gravel's NAFTA remarks, the moderator told the audience that none of the Democratic candidates would receive a chance to respond because of a previously agreed upon format.

"I'm sure all the candidates would like to respond to that," said CBS' Russ Mitchell, one of the event moderators. "Because this is classified as a forum, and not a debate, all the candidates agreed upon there would be no chance for that this afternoon."

The private discussion between Clinton and Edwards began when the former senator walked over to the former first lady to shake hands at the conclusion of the forum. The candidates were not aware that the microphone that Clinton was wearing was still transmitting sound.

"We've got to talk because they, they are, just being trivialized," Clinton said to Edwards.

"They are not serious," Edwards responded.

"No," Clinton said in agreement. "You know, I think there was an effort by our campaigns to do that. We got somehow, you know, detoured. But we've got to get back to that . . ."

Due to organ music and announcements that were being made in the background, the entirety of the conversation is not audible.

ABC News has asked both campaigns what the two candidates have agreed to work on together and will update this post with their responses.