[lbo-talk] Liberal Intellectuals and the Coordinator Class

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jul 13 08:03:40 PDT 2007

joanna wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > Parents in the 18th c. would beat the hell out of their kids
> >and no one, kids or parents, thought much about it. One can go on
> >indefinitely listing such examples.
> >
> Yeah but why. Maybe they didn't think about it, but that doesn't mean it
> didn't have an effect.
>
> Possibly women in africa don't think about being sliced up and sewn up,
> but it has its effect.
>
> Unconsciousness is not = to something not actually existing.

It is evidence that the burden of proof is on those claiming that the undetectable does exist. 95% of prisoners on death rows were abused as children. Eighteenth-century 'normal' parent-child relations approached what today would be abuse, but (one among thousads of radical differences in daily experience) in a world without anaesthesia pain would not be the same as pain today. Social expectations really REALLY do make a huge difference. I would like to see _any_ evidence at all that adults in the 18th century were distorted in their relations to the world by being abused as children.

Did married love exist in ancient Rome or Athens? If so, how compare to today's married love?

Carrol

Carrol