[lbo-talk] cruising the right

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 14 06:22:59 PDT 2007

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>On Jul 13, 2007, at 10:57 PM, Carl Remick wrote:
>
> > Well, it would be hard to beat the National Review's cruise for
> > hilarity,
> > what with Norman Podhoretz serving as shipboard tummler.
>
>For sure, but what's going on with WFB?
>
>[...]
>
>Buckley is an urbane old reactionary, drunk on doubts. He founded the
>National Review in 1955 – when conservatism was viewed in polite
>society as a mental affliction – and he has always been sceptical of
>appeals to " the people," preferring the eternal top-down certainties
>of Catholicism.

I'll admit that Buckley looks pretty good in Hari's Independent article, but that's only because he's standing next to Norman Podhoretz. As far as Buckley's being "urbane" in an absolute sense is concerned, I always think how suave WFB was in his heyday during the 1968 Democratic National Convention, when he delivered this subtle, witty riposte to Gore Vidal on ABC-TV: "Now listen, you queer stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I’ll sock you in you goddamn face and you’ll stay plastered." Ah, there's nothing like those "eternal top-down certainties of Catholicism."

<http://www.pitt.edu/~kloman/debates.html>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507