[lbo-talk] Moyers: Surprisingly Interesting Impeachment discussion

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Jul 14 08:42:18 PDT 2007

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> They also argue that if these precedents are left, we can be almost
>> certain they will be used.
>
> Well that's why there won't be impeachment hearings. No doubt the
> Dems would like some of these magical powers too, when they once
> again occupy the White House.

I think you're right on the second count, which only makes the issue more pressing. As far the first is concerned, one might have said the same about the war in Iraq a few years ago. The fact that the vast majority of Democrats were for the war after it started didn't make being against it a bad cause to embrace. On the contrary, the fact that half the population was with us and against the Dems is exactly what made it a good issue for trying to push and terrify that ungainly beast of a party another beetle leg closer to the left. And of rousing a larger majority in the population to embrace some of our principles.

FWIW, at the moment the polling numbers on impeachment are now (suprisingly to me) around the same as they were on the war in 2004 -- and this with virtually no publicity given to the issue at all.

Michael