[lbo-talk] Moyers: Surprisingly Interesting Impeachment discussion

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sat Jul 14 13:35:51 PDT 2007

Carrol wrote:

> ...If the DP n the House started
> impeachment proceedings, it would be the end of the anti-war movement
> for a year or two and it would entrench the DP in a rightist position.
> Bush has become an embarassment to the ruling class, and to continue a
> vigorous policy of retaining a military force in the mideast they need
> to shed that embarassment.
>
> Watergate was one of the nails in the casket of the '60s left.
> Everything was now o.k. and we didn't need to go out and demonstrate. An
> impeachment trial now would probably destroy what few and piddling gains
> we have made in the last 6 years.
============================ I agree with you about Bush being a serious ruling class liabiity, but my take on the impeachment talk is different. I think it is bubbling up from the disaffected DP ranks, and that the leadership would like to discourage it because it it is afraid of appearing "partisan" and of "tearing the country apart". It's electoral strategy, as usual, is based on the assumption that the rotten Republican fruit will drop from the tree of its own accord.

It doesn't seem to me that there's much of an organized antiwar movement out there to divert, as you fear. There is a massive amount of antagonism to the Bush administration over the war and other issues, however, which is seeking an outlet short of street demonstrations. It won't happen, but impeachment proceedings would provide that, and would also be cheered as a small measure of justice by the world's peoples for the military aggression against Iraq. What is really called for, of course, are war crimes trials, but that is victor's justice and even further beyond the realm of possibility.