[lbo-talk] Universal Asceticism and Social Levelling

Russell Grinker grinker at mweb.co.za
Sun Jul 15 13:13:14 PDT 2007

I drive a VW Golf: nice car, not exactly the epitome of luxury, but given the scary accident rate over here, I really appreciate the extra airbags. Also we have virtually no urban public transport where I live (a city of 880 000 people which extends about 100km in diameter). James defends drivers against those who would see us all on foot, on a bike or using lousy public transport, but I believe still gets around on pedal power.

Climate change sceptics? I think we agree that it is changing; sceptical about the extent of human impact on this, yes, and opposed to the sacrifices and austerity measures increasingly being suggested. From where I sit, it also looks as if the South will be asked to pay disproportionately to 'put things right'. Thanks to the 'new asceticism', sustainable development just got even less sustainable.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: 15 July 2007 09:42 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Universal Asceticism and Social Levelling

On Jul 15, 2007, at 2:31 PM, Russell Grinker wrote:

> Surely this is just a teensy weensie distortion Doug? I can't
> absolutely
> vouch for James, but we always pointed to the social limitations of
> innovations that are profit-driven. It's all in the archives,
> honest guv!

Just teasin', sorta, but you guys love your cars and are climate change skeptics, no?

Doug