[lbo-talk] [Fwd: nice guy] was Marx

bhandari at berkeley.edu bhandari at berkeley.edu
Sun Jul 15 14:27:06 PDT 2007

Nietzsche: a nice guy or an aristocratic radical?

The dissolution of depth and the forging of perspectivism, the assault on the unity of apperception, the repulsion at utilitarianism and Darwinism,the pseudo scientific merging of biology and energetics, the evolutionary epistemology or connection of epistemology and life, the eugenics, the frighteningly reactionary politics, the disturbing revolt against Socratic rationalism as linked to Judaism and culminated in Christianity, the flirtation with Asian philosophies, the question to which political conflicts were for him only allegorical. Will to power, ressentiment,eternal recurrence... If Charles reads Italian, I think he has his man in Dominco Losurdo who has written a 1000 page book on Nietzsche...recently reviewed by Jan Rehman in Historical Materialism. I think Peter Thomas also wrote a review in New Left REview a few years back. But many have made written excellent books reading Nietzsche otherwise. Yours, Rakesh