[lbo-talk] Are We Going to Attack Iran?

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 15 15:35:56 PDT 2007

On Jul 15, 2007, at 11:14 AM, Robert Wrubel wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a plausible
> strategic vision that would be served by this plan?

Plausible? No. But it's the same strategic vision that brought us the war in Iraq and Israel's invasion of Lebanon. There's not much evidence that the proponents of this vision have learned much from the disasters they unleashed.

"We" is a big, classless nationalist word. Apparently, there are a lot of rightists ignoramuses who support the idea of military adventurism in the Middle Eastern region of the planet. Here is an excerpt from that article Doug posted about the "National Review" cruise:

"A few floors away, Podhoretz tells me he is losing his voice, "which will make some people very happy". Then he croaks out the standard-issue Wolfowitz line about how, after September 11, the United States had to introduce democracy to the Middle East in order to change the political culture that produced the mass murderers. For somebody who declares democracy to be his goal, he is remarkably blasé about the fact that 80 per cent of Iraqis want US troops to leave their country, according to the latest polls. "I don't much care," he says, batting the question away. He goes on to insist that "nobody was tortured in Abu Ghraib or Guantanamo" and that Bush is "a hero". He is, like most people on this cruise, certain the administration will attack Iran."

full: http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article2766040.ece

Of course, the moral covers Podhoretz and his social conservative ilk use to cover their projections of power are essentially lies. But, sometimes, the real "strategic vision", based on class interest (under the ideological cover of 'national interests) is blurted out for the public to see:

Defence Minister Brendan Nelson said today oil was a factor in Australia's contribution to the unpopular war, as "energy security" and stability in the Middle East would be crucial to the nation's future.

full: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/07/04/1183351291906.html

Mike B)

An injury to one is an injury to all http://www.iww.org/

____________________________________________________________________________________ Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today! http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7