[lbo-talk] Nietzsche again

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jul 15 19:46:46 PDT 2007

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Trotsky gets the spirit of Marx right when at the end
> of Literature and Revolution, he talks about making a
> Goethe or a Newton and everyday type, and "beyond
> those heights, new alps arise." Even the alps talk is
> Nietzschean.

If so, Nietzsche had been reading Pope:

So pleas'd at first, the tow'ring Alps we try, Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky; Th' eternal snows appear already past, And the first clouds and mountains seem the last; But those attain'd, we tremble to survey The growing labours of the lengthen'd way, Th' increasing prospect tires our wand'ring eyes, Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!