[lbo-talk] Goldberg, Hegel and Hitler

Kevin Robert Dean Qualiall at roadrunner.com
Sun Jul 15 23:38:25 PDT 2007

My stomach is still hurting from laughing so hard at this.

For those not in the know, Jon Swift plays a conservative in his blog with hilarious results. Enjoy!

small exercpt:

"Like many conservatives I can't wait for [Jonah] Goldberg to publish his book, which he promises will be "a very serious, thoughtful, argument that has never been made in such detail or with such care." But the publication date keeps getting pushed farther and farther into the future. The first sign of trouble was when Goldberg asked for help from readers of The Corner. "I'm working on a chapter of the book which requires me to read a lot about and by Herbert Spencer," Goldberg said. "There's simply no way I can read all of it, nor do I really need to. But if there are any real experts on Spencer out there -- regardless of ideological affiliation -- I'd love to ask you a few questions in case I'm missing something." The idea that he would try to read any Spencer at all before writing about him already struck me as biting off more than he could chew. But the addition of Hegel to the new subtitle raises more troubling questions. Hegel is even more tedious and difficult to understand than Spencer and I'm afraid that finding someone who can explain Hegel to Goldberg is going to take up yet more precious time. After all, Hegel himself reportedly said, "Only one man ever understood me, and even he didn't understand me."

full http://jonswift.blogspot.com/2007/06/jonah-goldbergs-shining.html