[lbo-talk] (no subject)

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 17 22:52:28 PDT 2007

Choice bits from the AP:

"I can't ascribe motives to the lack of action in Albany,

but I can definitively say the environment and the future

quality of life in New York took a beating," Bloomberg

said in a statement.

[ ... ]

The congestion pricing plan had called for an $8 toll for cars

and a $21 toll for trucks entering Manhattan's most heavily

traveled business district during workdays. The money was to

go toward transportation improvements.

So my question is this: if there's Trouble in River City, and $X is needed to improve the transportation system, is a congestion pricing tax the only way to pay for it? That is: now that this funding measure failed, is there no future for planned transportation improvements?

If the future quality of life has taken a beating, is there any OTHER way to get it back up on it's feet?

Hmmm.

There's plenty of money in River City, especially at the top of the hire-arky. Levy a progressive tax on those who have incomes above $500,000 per year and make the transportation improvements.

Mike B)

An injury to one is an injury to all http://www.iww.org/

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out. http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545469