[lbo-talk] what's right with capitalist exploitation

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 19 06:20:55 PDT 2007

Eubulides wrote:

> Or he couldn't let go of hierarchical and teleological thinking, with all their
> attendant fallacies, when it came to macrosocial dynamics.

While this is the way in which many Marxists and non-Marxists read Marx, I don't think it's correct. If one sees a person drowning, one sees in the present the necessity (not the certainty) of pulling her from the water, thus making further life possible. It is only teleology when all history is seen as somehow "aiming" at that result. Even Aristotle's _telos_ was not always or necessarily teleological.

Carrol