[lbo-talk] more on fuel economy

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 14:52:37 PDT 2007

On 7/19/07, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:
> John Thornton wrote:
>

> >Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> >but at the end the SUV marketing appealed to
> > > atavistic and "reptilian" instincts already existing in the human
> > > subconscious.
> >
> >That's what you got from Bradsher's book?
> >

> That's what he gets from every book.

Woj didn't come up with this.

Originally from a New Yorker article:

[...]

Over the past decade, a number of major automakers in America have relied on the services of a French-born cultural anthropologist, G. Clotaire Rapaille, whose speciality is getting beyond the rational — what he calls "cortex" — impressions of consumers and tapping into their deeper, "reptilian" responses. And what Rapaille concluded from countless, intensive sessions with car buyers was that when S.U.V. buyers thought about safety they were thinking about something that reached into their deepest unconscious. "The No. 1 feeling is that everything surrounding you should be round and soft, and should give," Rapaille told me. "There should be air bags everywhere. Then there's this notion that you need to be up high. That's a contradiction, because the people who buy these S.U.V.s know at the cortex level that if you are high there is more chance of a rollover. But at the reptilian level they think that if I am bigger and taller I'm safer. You feel secure because you are higher and dominate and look down. That you can look down is psychologically a very powerful notion. And what was the key element of safety when you were a child? It was that your mother fed you, and there was warm liquid. That's why cupholders are absolutely crucial for safety. If there is a car that has no cupholder, it is not safe. If I can put my coffee there, if I can have my food, if everything is round, if it's soft, and if I'm high, then I feel safe. It's amazing that intelligent, educated women will look at a car and the first thing they will look at is how many cupholders it has."

[...]

More background at:

<http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/persuaders/interviews/rapaille.html>

-- Andy