[lbo-talk] Hillary on Iran

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 19 18:34:02 PDT 2007

[yuck]

THE ISRAEL PROJECT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 19, 2007

Contact: Jennifer Laszlo Mizrahi: 202-857-6644, jenniferm at theisraelproject.org Jennifer Packer: 202-857-6657, jenniferp at theisraelproject.org www.theisraelproject.org

The Israel Project regrets that it accidentally gave out the wrong statement for Senator Hillary Clinton, prepared for The Israel Project's press conference on Iran July 19. The correct statement is below. All statements from the press conference today can be found at <http://www.theisraelproject.org>.

Senator Hillary Clinton's Statement

Today's event has the important goal of drawing attention to the security threat posed by Iran. Iran poses a threat to our allies and our interests in the region and beyond. The Iranian president has held a conference denying the Holocaust and has issued bellicose statements calling for Israel to be wiped off the map. His statements are even more disturbing and urgent when viewed in the context of the regime's quest to acquire nuclear weapons. This regime also uses its influence and resources in the region to support terrorist elements that attack Israel. Hezbollah's attack on Israel last summer, using Iranian weapons, clearly demonstrates Iran's malevolent influence even beyond its borders.

U.S. policy must be clear, unequivocal and effective. We cannot permit Iran to build or acquire nuclear weapons. We also must not let go unanswered its state sponsorship of terrorism. We must not stand silent in the face of the brutal repression of women and minorities. And we must not tolerate threats to the existence of Israel.

That is why we must work together to enforce meaningful, tough economic sanctions on the Iran regime, and why I have joined with Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) to cosponsor legislation that would close the loophole which enables international corporations such as Halliburton to evade these sanctions through foreign subsidiaries. It is essential that the international community and civil society come together to demonstrate our commitment and our determination in the face of the Iranian regime. In doing so, we are promoting the values of peace and freedom in the region and in the world.

---

The Israel Project is an international non-profit organization devoted to educating the press and the public about Israel while promoting security, freedom and peace. The Israel Project provides journalists, leaders and opinion-makers accurate information about Israel. The Israel Project is not related to any government or government agency.

---

Board of Advisors: Senator Evan Bayh (IN), Senator Saxby Chambliss (GA), Senator Norm Coleman (MN), Senator Ben Nelson (NE), Senator Arlen Specter (PA), Senator Ron Wyden (OR), Congressman Rob Andrews (NJ), Congresswoman Shelley Berkley (NV), Congressman Tom Davis (VA), Congressman Eliot Engel (NY), Congressman Frank Pallone (NJ), Congressman Jon Porter (NV), Congressman Jim Saxton (NJ), Congressman Brad Sherman (CA), Congressman Joe Wilson (SC), Actor and Director Ron Silver