[lbo-talk] more on fuel economy

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Jul 19 22:39:25 PDT 2007

Oh, SUV's were a lot of things, mainly

-- a status symbol -- another expression of the survivior mentality that came to dominate the last twentyfive years.

My last marriage broke up over an SUV. My ex went out to get the Sunday paper and came back with a brand new Toyota 4Runner.

Personally, I would much rather tear up or burn $5,000.00 than buy a new car, but I have to admit that there was something in my reptillian brain about the status thing. Here's what happened next.

1. I sat in the damn thing and realized that it was basically a very expensive, uncomfortable truck with not much room inside. 2. I drove it and realized that high center of gravity made it very, very unsafe. No maneuverability. 3. In the first few months that my ex drove it (like an asshole) he got FOUR, countem, tickets. 4. Between gas, insurance, and car payments, he was shelling out $800/month. That was some serious money we could have been spending on a million other things. 5. We split up.

I really and truly hate SUV's.

Joanna