[lbo-talk] Moore's Sicko Analysis

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Jul 20 12:55:44 PDT 2007

On Friday 20 July 2007 15:37, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Clearly the bourgeoisie agrees, becaues it'd make business sense for
> Ford and GM to promote national health insurance, and they haven't.

I wonder to what extent Ford and GM are simply avoiding a war with the insurance companies, HMOs, and other components of the "health" sector who would surely be seriously threatened or completely destroyed by national health insurance.

I know our idealization of the enterprise is that it's like a pirate ship, maximizing its own returns without any concern for anybody or anything else, but from what I've seen of the upper bourgeoisie, they tend to belong to the same clubs, have interlocking interests, talk to each other -- it's simultaneously contentious and collusive.