[lbo-talk] Moore's Sicko Analysis

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 21 11:36:11 PDT 2007

Friday, July 20, Chuck wrote:

"I want to suggest that we take this thread in a different direction.

How about we talk about what the radical American Left can do on the issue of health care reform?"

Nice gesture, Chuck, and smart, to shift from attacking the film to asking for a better way to get the message across.

I'm not as impressed with the success of the anti-globalization actions as you are. Although they were part of a major global reaction, which has yet to bear fruit, I dont know that they in any way dented the specific impacts and agenda of the WTO. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The problem, as Doug points out, is that there is no significant radical Left in America. Lacking that, lacking an organized base, there's not much you can do except mount individual, local issue awareness campaigns. That means picketing and leafletting places like Walmart, with no or too expensive health plans, and the insurance companies. With enough people, and persistance, you might embarass these companies into doing something, or at least sow the grounds for political action in your local community, or even at the state level.

The other target, right now, is the Democratic presidential hopefuls who are gingerly beginning to mention health care in their speeches. Of course, they're talking about the wrong kind of health care -- the present insurance company-based kind -- just extended to more people. But their mistake is your opportunity.

Whatever you do now is made easier by Moore's film, which has made many, many more people aware of the issue than a week ago. As always, if you can find an actual demographic group strongly harmed by lack of health care, you have a much better chance of building a sustainable organization and getting results. Along the way, you will be sowing a general awareness of the limits of profit-based approches to the provision of goods and services. Less than a revolution, but not a bad result!

BobW