[lbo-talk] Moore's Sicko Analysis

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Jul 21 22:19:07 PDT 2007

B. wrote:

>Yet even when told that, I'm pretty sure most folks
>will still have a "facts be damned, I'll believe
>whatever I want, so fuck you" attitude. Stubborn
>ideological resistance, regardless of facts. I've
>seen this too many times myself. "Screw you, I don't
>care, I'm believing what I want anyway." That is a
>massive roadblock to progress in the US. I personally
>can't stand it. Willful ignorance, as the Catholics
>said.

Actually, despite the brainwashing, 2/3 of the american public supports universal health care.

I believe the opposition is based on three forces -- I have no idea which is the most powerful.

1. Distrust of the govt. Do you want the folks who responded to Katrina to be responsible for your health care?

2. Racism. Do you want colored people to have the same right to health care that you do? If that's the case, how will they learn their place?

3. Fear of higher taxes.

4. Fear that you will be stuck with the assigned doctor and that if it turns out to be a bad doctor, you will be screwed.

Joanna