[lbo-talk] Moore's Sicko Analysis

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Jul 22 10:40:17 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Well, the WTO - or, more specifically the Doha round - has gone
> nowhere, and the movement barely exists anymore. Has its effect
> lingered for six or seven years, or was it really that the tensions
> among the negotiating parties were too intense?

Quite a few analysts give credit to the movement for torpedoing the WTO.

You don't hear much about the WTO these days, do you?

The movement is out there but it's pretty inactive. I see the challenge as being one of organizing people to go after new targets. This is one of the failures of the Washington-based wing of the movement, which provides much of the leadership and impetus for new protests. Beltway activism is notoriously conservative and subject to the hidden agendas of the NGOs.

I think that the U.S. wing of the anti-globalization movement would pick up some traction if it highlighted American economic issues.

Like healthcare!

Chuck