[lbo-talk] the depressing thing that is American politics...

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Jul 24 19:28:07 PDT 2007

On 24 Jul, 2007, at 19:01 PM, B. wrote:

> There are just so many fucking good reasons that
> certain things needs to happen, universal health care
> one of them, an end in Iraq another -- yet, no matter
> the brilliance of the salvos fired, they don't. Even
> when perfectly sound and reasonable reasons are
> elaborated -- it's just, thanks, but no thanks. And
> I'm not even blaming leaders for being obstinate,
> though they're obviously bastards. There is a HUGE
> amount of the US public that is so entrenched in a
> facts-be-damned mindset that I have no idea how to
> even comprehend it, or approach it.
>
> And I don't buy any more that the facts just need to
> get out to people, then everything will take care of
> itself. <...>

Here's my half-arsed take on it: the population is divided into a fairly large group that chooses various [biologically and culturally] received criteria over facts ("we trust a bumbling, mistaken Bush over anti-American liberals"), a smaller group of "liberals"/"progressives" who are frustrated by the fact that facts do not matter, and a tiny bunch of wankers (that would be us -- and no that's not a word from the "blogosphere") who would be irrelevant even if we didn't spend our time beating on each other (no pun intended).

--ravi