[lbo-talk] Greetings from Stalingrad!

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 08:24:27 PDT 2007

--- cgrimes at rawbw.COM wrote:

> Just for fun I googled Volograd for maps and
> wondered around the street
> map briefly. Not very good map, only the main
> streets came up and they were
> in Russian of course. Give me an intersection in the
> downtown area and
> I'll look it up for fun.
>
> CG

Well, I had coffee and ice cream this afternoon at an artsy cafe on the corner of Prospekt v imena Lenina (Street in the Name of Lenin, or more simply Lenin Street), which seems to be the main street, and Ulitsa Komsomolskaya (Komsomol Street, or Young Communist League Street). They have some good ice cream, yum, and absinthe!

I was at the Museum of the Panorama of the Battle of Stalingrad a couple of hours ago. They have so much stuff. I saw the little copy of Simon Bolivar's sword Chavez gave them. And it is LITTLE. It looks like a dagger. There's a lot of documents signed by Paulus etc., military hardware, portraits of Stalin and Zhukov and so forth. I also saw the Stalin/Roosevelt/Churchill statue that caused such a scandal a coiple of years ago. I cannot believe so much fuss was made over this thing -- it's a foot and a half high. The Big Three look like hobbits.

Here's the museum's site in English: http://panorama.volgadmin.ru/opis_eng.html

____________________________________________________________________________________ Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell. http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/