[lbo-talk] the depressing thing that is American politics...

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 08:40:00 PDT 2007

On 7/25/07, Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

> In short, do not expect any serious push for a social change until the
> system is not able to meet people's expectations. I personally do not think
> this will happen in the US during our life time.

Like Bob, I tend to agree, although this observation does not in any way undermine the urgent need for the kind of organizing B. is referring to. First, it will be far harder to take advantage of crises that threaten the system's ability to meet popular expectations without an intellectual, cultural, and organizational "infrastructure" (the Christofascists already have one). Second, such an infrastructure may be able to shift people's expectations over time so that eventually even comparatively minor crises for the system (by today's standards) could become major crises in the future.

-WD