[lbo-talk] work stoppage

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 25 13:02:37 PDT 2007

I was watching Ted Turner's cable channel last night to see if Barry Bonds would hit a home run. The broadcasters were chatting a lot about the meaning of Bonds breaking one of the most important records in sports and one of them said how important another record chase in 1998 had been in getting fans back into the game after the "work stoppage" in 1994.

I'd never noticed this term used before but I googled "work stoppage" and "baseball" just now and it's all over the place. ESPN even has a page called Work Stoppage 101. It hasn't completely displaced "strike" but I wonder how it came to be used at all.

The baseball players union is one of the best unions in the history of the U.S. It was built in the '60s and '70s largely by a career labor guy from the Bronx, Marvin Miller, who was trained as an economist. It's a great organizing story. In the beginning the players were so clueless they wanted to appoint Richard Nixon as Miller's general counsel.