[lbo-talk] unfare transportation

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Jul 26 09:59:51 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> It was an important part of Rudy's crackdown in NYC. Every turnstile
> jumper they saw was asked for ID. They checked for any outstanding
> warrants, etc. If you didn't have ID you were automatically shipped
> off to Rikers for the night. If there was anything out against you,
> you were busted. And if they didn't like your looks - i.e., you were
> a young black male - you were busted.

Makes you wonder how much money they lost versus having to spend money on security, security furniture, booth attendants, and so on.

The NYC system is so unfriendly towards riders. I had a hard time wheeling luggage through all of the turnstiles and exit gates.

Several years ago, I actually got trapped in the entrance area of the station at, I believe, Battery Park. It was the weekend and the station was closed, but there wasn't much signage. A comrade and myself got trapped. He simply climbed over all the of the gates while I wasted several fares going in and out of turnstiles to get out.

Chuck