[lbo-talk] AK Press hiring 2 people in Oakland

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 11:40:24 PDT 2007

Hello all,

wanted to spread the word that AK press is hiring. jo

Folks,

Just a reminder that there's a week left until the priority application deadline we'd set for the open positions at AK Press. If you've already sent in an application or passed this on to your comrades, thanks, and we'll be in touch with all applicants soon. But if you haven't, now's the time!

We will continue to accept applications until the positions have both been filled, but we'd like to get started interviewing as soon as we can so please pass this on to anyone who might be interested, and get those letters and resumes in this week!

Thanks, The AK Press Collective

---

JOB ANNOUNCEMENT Please forward, repost, and circulate widely.

For immediate consideration!

Women and People of Color strongly encouraged to apply.

AK Press is looking to add two new members to our collective. These positions require a minimum of 40 hours work per week in our Oakland warehouse, plus additional nights and weekends tabling at special

events (bookfairs, concerts, conferences, etc.).

AK Press is a worker-owned and run anarchist collective, which

publishes and distributes books and other media. Our politics draw on the rich

heritage of anarchist, anti-authoritarian and left-communist thought and action;

for more information on our politics as they relate to our business, please

see: http://www.akpress.org/about/aboutakpress. AK Press publishes around 20 books, CDs, and DVDs per year, and distributes thousands of other

titles from independent presses and publishers to the book trade, individuals, radical spaces, and other outlets.

We are hiring for two Order Entry / Shipping and Receiving positions in

our distribution department.

Job responsibilities include: * Entering orders and shipping books to stores and wholesalers. * Receiving incoming shipments (including entering new products,

reconciling differences between shipment quantities and purchase order quantities, entering pricing changes, etc.). * Communicating with our store customers and vendors. * Shelving and storing books and managing warehouse space. * Working with other members of the department to select items for distribution and eventually sharing other duties such as ordering

stock. * Coordinating and supervising volunteers and interns to help with job tasks. * Collective management: the general management of the company is a collective responsibility. From ensuring our financial health, to

assessing our political strategies, to facilitation of meetings, to answering the phone, to changing light bulbs and sweeping the floor, all

responsibility and accountability for AK Press rests with its workers.

We’re actively looking for people: * Whose politics are compatible with AK’s mission, and whose

experiences and interests can contribute to AK’s vibrancy and diversity as a

political project. * Who are detail oriented and well organized. * Who have good math skills. * Who have experience with Macs. * Who have a knowledge of and passion for books. * Who have an incredible work ethic. * Who can work well as part of the collective.

Other desirable qualifications include: * Experience with Filemaker and/or Acumen Book. * Experience in other collectives. * Connections to current political activities. * Experience in the book trade.

Our pay is $25,000 per year, comprehensive health insurance including dental, 4 weeks per year of paid time off and all the joys and

headaches of being part of a worker owned and managed company.

Please mail, fax, or email a comprehensive letter of interest and a

resume. All applicants will receive a response. Send applications to:

AK Press Attn: Jobs 674-A 23rd Street Oakland, CA 94612-1163 Fax: (510) 208-1701 E-mail: jobs at akpress.org

We will begin contacting applicants after the priority deadline of July

31, but we will accept applications until the positions have been filled.