[lbo-talk] further evidence that the U.S. is prosecution-mad

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 26 11:47:11 PDT 2007

Michael Smith wrote:

> On 07/26/07 01:04:28 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:
>
> I seem to remember reading years ago that the top three were logging,
> firefighting, and farming, in that order, but my memory is fallible to
> say the least. I do recall that police work really isn't very dangerous
> at all.

In addition to total death rates there is the issue of _cause_ of death. If I remember correctly (I'm vague on this too) the major factor in police deaths was traffic fatalities. Convenience store clerks suffer from the highest rate of death by murder. Very few cops are shot in the line of duty, which is the image desired by cop lovers.

Carrol