[lbo-talk] further evidence that the U.S. is prosecution-mad

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 26 14:45:00 PDT 2007

> [WS:] And this is in response to my link and reference to the BLS data
> showing the ranking of job fatalities for different occupations, and also
> the data for different types of risks. Did you even bother to read it or
> you just had a knee-jerk reaction to the word "police"?
>
> Wojtek

Of course I read it. I even corrected the following error you included:

"In fact homicide is the leading cause of job fatality among cops (41% higher that most other occupations), albeit cops are surpasses by supervisors of retail sales workers." (Wojtek)

I correctly posted that the leading cause of fatalities of cops is:

"Cops are most likely to be killed in a vehicular accident chasing after someone who did nothing more than run a stop sign and in doing so are more likely to kill an uninvolved bystander than themselves. Cops kill themselves through reckless behaviour that endangers other far more than they are killed by evil-dooers." (John)

You also missed the fact that cab drivers surpass cops as victims of job related homicide. Cops kill themselves through reckless behaviour more than they are killed by bad-guys. Cab drivers are killed by bad guys more than they are killed by their own reckless behaviour. By your logic we should valorize cab drivers above cops. Do you? Cops also kill innocent people while engaging in this reckless behaviour. Do convenience store clerks kill many bystanders while engaging in reckless behaviour? Do timber workers, garbage collectors or others kill as many innocent bystanders as cops while engaging in reckless behaviour driven by irrational bravado?

Personally I think a cop COULD be a great job but the type of people attracted to it suck-ass because of the way the job is hyped. Good cops are rare because they can't stand working side by side with the fucks who believe the PR spewed forth by police departments. Imagine how nice it would be if cops correctly identified their job as more akin to firefighter/social worker rather than soldier? Every opportunity to dispel the myth of a cops jobs a something militarized should be taken.

John Thornton