[lbo-talk] further evidence that the U.S. is prosecution-mad

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 27 14:09:52 PDT 2007

Chris Doss wrote:
> Guys, just intuitively, it seems obvious that one
> can't talk about casualty rates of "cops." One would
> have to take into account differences in location and
> department, and separate beat cops and undercover cops
> from desk jockeys.

That goes for any job category. Do all timber workers face the same risk? Do all construction workers face the same risk? Of course not, but we've been lumping them into a large group just as we have for cops. We use the information we have on hand or can readily access. This is a casual list conversation rather than a technical treatise on the risks of law enforcement. The generalization doesn't make the data we have useless just less precise can it could be were this something other than a conversation. I'm willing to bet that for timber workers you could find a job assignment that runs a higher risk of death than any assignment in the law enforcement field.

IIRC there is a lot of movement from one assignment to another in the cop world. Every cop I have known had an assignment behind a desk at some point in their career.

John Thornton