[lbo-talk] the two-tier global economy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 27 16:03:18 PDT 2007

[from Merrill Lynch chief economist David Rosenberg's top 10 list for the week]

10) “We seem to have a two-track world economy” Indeed, the quote of the week may have to go to Mike DeWalt, who is director of investor relations at CAT – “We seem to have a two-track world economy”... weakness in the USA and continued strength abroad. Just look at the geographic revenue split in the latest quarter: +61% y/y in Lat Am, +24% in the Pac Rim, +32% in EAFE and down 10% in the USA. For the year as a whole, CAT is projecting sales outside North America to rise 24% and to decline 12% in this neck of the woods. Sign of the times was the headline on page B3 of the Saturday NYT – “Caterpillar Profit Down 21%, Slump in Home Building Cited”.