[lbo-talk] The Apostate: A Zionist politician loses faith in the future (The New Yorker)

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Jul 28 07:19:16 PDT 2007

Letter from Jerusalem The Apostate A Zionist politician loses faith in the future. by David Remnick July 30, 2007

www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/07/30/070730fa_fact_remnick

"People are not willing to admit it, but Israel has reached the wall," Avrum Burg says.

West Bank-"and they hit Tel Aviv."

Moyal said that if the United States could send troops thousands of miles to Afghanistan to fight Al Qaeda and the Taliban, Olmert could surely order a more decisive force into Gaza. Sharon's unilateral disengagement, in August, 2005, he said, had been a disaster: Hamas controlled Gaza and the Qassams had not stopped. "The big mistake is that this was all for nothing. At the time, the defense minister under Sharon, Shaul Mofaz, said that if after disengagement there was just one Qassam Gaza City would be shut down. We've had a few thousand rockets since then."

Moyal expressed disgust for the generation of Israeli politicians now in their forties and fifties-not least Avraham Burg-and said that it was because of their failure that "we are living in a retro age," in which the emerging contenders for Prime Minister are two former Prime Ministers: Barak, of Labor, and, Moyal's preference, Benjamin Netanyahu, of Likud.