[lbo-talk] The Death of Capitalism: Should it be Welcomed?

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 28 17:55:06 PDT 2007

Carrol Cox wrote:

"Capitalism will not collapse, EVER.

Capitalism will not mutate into something else, EVER.

If you don't hit it, it won't fall.

Slumps and human misery are the health of capitalism."

I know what you mean, but this is a little misleading.

It leaves out the conflicted aspect of capitalism, the self-destructive logic of eternal expansion. I'm not an economist but I'm persuaded by people like Harry Shutt who argue that privitization, mergers, out-sourcing and now financialization (making money off of transactions rather than production) have all been driven by an increasing difficulty of finding profitable investments.

Maybe "moribund" is too strong a word, but nervous, imprudent, self-cannibalizing, might be appropriate.

And Peter Hart Ward's remark points up a different, non-economic issue -- the separation of capital from its domestic base, and eventually the nation state. These are certainly brand new conditions for capital which no one knows how it will meet. BobW